Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Now Featuring Stuff About Pregnancy and Baby-Having!




Over the past 4 months I have turned 30, gotten married, gotten pregnant, and watched Barack Obama get elected. I also finished teaching for an unspecified amount of time, went to Hawaii for a belated honeymoon, spent epic quality time with my dear friend Rachel, set intentions for 2009, and decided to seriously investigate having a home birth. Holy f**king sh*t (see, look, already becoming a mom! Less swearing in '09!), batman! Life is changing in awesome and miraculous ways and I do want to document it. I am learning so much about pregnancy and birth everyday and am kind of roiling with thoughts about it all---being pregnant, getting pregnant (well, that part was pretty freakin simple), what to do, what not to do, what to ignore (most books), what to pay attention to (your instincts!). I am by no remote means an expert on any of us, and I don't believe that anyone really is. It's such a personal, yet public experience, completely individual yet totally universal.

Rather than start a pregnancy blog with a dorky name, I figured I'd just carry on here...cuz Experimental Soup Making is just a metaphor anyway. For the experiments I/we carry out daily, the recipe-less living, the trusting your sense of how much salt goes in, how much onion, lots of garlic, yum. The best soups I've ever made have been almost entirely made-up; maybe inspired by a recipe, but primarily made from the gut (and the nose and the palate) and from experience, trial and error. Which is not to say that I'm bumbling my way through pregnancy, and there's not too much room for error here. But it all just feels like an incredible experiment that I get to participate in everyday: the experiment of love and partnership, of creating a new being, of thinking about how to be a parent (helllooo, trial and error!), of observing and enjoying my everyday-a-little-new-body.

Anyway. I am, as usual, rife with opinions and thoughts. Stay tuned.

No comments: