Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fruit

Lately I've been craving fruit, especially strawberries. Yesterday I bought some huge green grapes and they are so so good. Today I've been reading Sheila Kitzinger's The Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth, which is pretty good and thorough, and I came across two quotes that I like. Both happen to reference fruit, but in very different ways.

From the introduction:

"Pregnancy and childbirth are normal life processes, not illnesses. You feel the surge of life moving inside you, the ripening of your body heavy with fruit, and then the flood of vitality as labor starts and your uterus contracts in wave after wave, bringing your baby into your arms. It is awe-inspiring and deeply satisfying. At the same time, you grow up a little and learn more about yourself and your partner."

I like the simplicity of this statement, as well as its eloquence. Pregnancy and birth are not illnesses, yet we pathologize them in myriad ways. And I do indeed feel heavy with fruit. Both literally, cuz I drank a big strawberry-filled smoothie this morning, and figuratively, cuz this little melon is putting on the ounces.

The other quote is decidedly less pleasant, but it's the best description I've read thus far of what "transistion" feels like (transition is the phase of labor that happens when you're between 8-10 cm dilated; it's basically insane hell-time, contractions are super close together and intense, you can't push yet, you're on fire, etc etc):

"The surest sign [that you're entering transition] is feeling that you have a large grapefruit pressing against your anus or that you want to empty your bowels."

I'm a big fan of grapefruit, but I imagine I'll look at them differently from now on, imagining one inside of me, pushing against my ass.

(Ok, sorry to get all graphic, but let's be real here: a baby is going to come out of my vagina. Milk will come out of my boobs. All kinds of crazy shit's gonna go on with my special parts. And I shall not refrain from discussing it. So be prepared. I'm talking to you, Uncle Howard! I am truly sorry if I've just ruined grapefruit for you, though.)

1 comment:

badlilmama said...

my friend carla called me after she first saw her cervix w/ a mirror (a bit late, really, she's in her late 20s) and was, like, wow! that's my cervix. um, why does jen want to explode her cerix?" her thoughts at they gyno -- of me, how sweet!