Friday, March 20, 2009

The Classic Rock of Baby Clothes

My dear dear mother likes to save things. Not in a pack-rat hoarder way mind you—it's more of a nostaligia thing. My dear dear father has built attic storage space and a series of backyard sheds to hold the saved things. Sometimes we joke about it, but oh how grateful I am that she saved several boxes of my baby clothes, books, and toys. A few weeks ago I went home and we unearthed it all, and sat on the couch pulling out adorable thing after adorable thing. I remembered so many of the tiny dresses and t-shirts and sweaters, and I pored over my favorite books, recalling each illustration so so vividly. It's amazing how much she saved, and how well most items have held up. Among it all are a ton of dresses and sweaters that my Nana made, complete with little "Handmade by Mary" tags. So, so special and amazing that Ivy Cat gets to wear tiny sweaters knitted by her great-grandma.

Yesterday Ruby (my personal organizer and interior designer) helped me get the baby room more established: we bought a changing table off CL and bought (um, pricey) fabric to make curtains and got paint swatches. And we put tiny tiny baby clothes in the dressers and filled a drawer with tiny tiny socks (all courtesy of Jenn and Arlo, thank you!) and tiny tiny onesies (again, mostly Jenn and Arlo!) and on and on. Pretty much every item of clothing made us swoon and oooh and ahhh, but I do think that my collection of rad baby t-shirts, circa 1978-79, are my faves.

No comments: